Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Well, it appears as if I've improved

A few weeks back I wrote about my difficulties in communicating Jewish holidays to those around me (in my defense, they are slightly difficult and use lots of words that don't really come up in daily conversation here). Well today I think I at least 1/2 managed to communicate the story of Hannukah to my Bashkia members. Well at least they understood that it had something to do with oil and it lasting longer than it should have, and something to do with G/d. I suppose it was probobally close to my translation of the man in the castle in Berat to my Parents...
Him: "Shqip, Shqip, Shqip, Shqip, Shqip"
Me: "Um, earthquake was there and did... something... and then... flying monkeys?"
No but really, I think they actually understood. They also for the first time actually enjoyed my cooking, but of course it was latkas. I mean even I was thinking to myself as I was cooking them that latkas are more proof that Jews have at least a few things really figured out. Well except the health thing apparently, but pshah. While the latkas were a hit, the mixing them with apple sauce was not. Turns out I have something in common with Albanians; they like their salty food salty, their sweet food sweet, and the two are not to mix.Well we'll work on the trying of new things with them, after all I still have quite some time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment