Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hi again!

Hi all, sorry for my long absence. So what do I have to report?
1. The stomach problems turned out to be giardia (oh so fun), after 4 pills that issue was taken care of!

2. Work has picked up a little, I have started work at the library updating their paper record copy to being electronic, I also received books for the library which I am very excited about. There are two organizations working in Shijak with women's groups, both which I have become involved with. One is a training, done by an organization where another volunteer in Durres is helping. The other is a women's project to do a "cleaning project." Both of these things were kind of sprung on me, but I am doing my best to roll with the punches and not get upset that I am constantly being told "neser, neser" or "tomorrow, tomorrow." Additionally I should start teaching English lessons at the Bashkia tomorrow, but this too has been postponed on me many times.

3. I bought "pipi corapegjata" or "pipi longstockings," to practice my Albanian. I actually had to argue with the man at the store about paying him. He tried to give it to me as a gift, which I would have been happy to accept had I not accepted his gifts of postcards the week before (given because I am out of town). I told him that it wa for his business and I should pay, and he finally accepted my money. The kindness of Albanians never ceases to amaze me.

4. I realize that I have not written about my neighbors and their awesomeness. My neighbors have temporarily adopted me into their family. Sometimes the mother will ring my doorbell and just hand me plates of food, it is really kind and I try to reciprocate by also giving them food I cook. Unfortunately most of the food I cook is not all that loved by Albanians.

I will update soon with an entry about the High Holidays and Albania but for now I just wanted to say a quick hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment