Thursday, March 18, 2010

Well... wandering in Albania

Miremenjas, Miredita, Mirembrema, Natenemira (Good morning + good day + good evening + good night) + depending on when you are reading this. I have arrived in Albania safe and sound (this is your time to jump up and down and rejoice + not because you were surprised but because you love me)! I guess it has been a few days since most of you have heard from me so my life so far....

Day 1: Staging = Philadelphia + skits reminiscent of Tapawingo training + awkward conversations with new people (because of me not them of course) + being excited to be around other people who have studied city planning, esp from a different school

Day 2/3: The journey = 2 hr bus to JFK + 8 hr flight to Munich + 2 hr flight to Tirane + 2 hr bus to Elbasan + realizing that that strange magnetic field we all talk about me having is not really a joke when my controller on the arm of my chair was broken and then the screen froze on me + my very nice co-trainee suggesting and agreeing to having headphone wires across his lap so that we could share his sound + spending about 5-10 minutes per movie trying to sync our two video screens + not sleeping + becoming the generic cereal version of myself + becoming too grumpy due to not sleeping to get up from my seat to take a group picture + semi-awkward conversations with fellow trainees + looking for settlers of catan in the Munich airport + arriving at the airport and being too tired and too overwhelmed to even react + easiest custom questions I have ever received getting into a country (not receiving any) + getting one of my bags in the airport and learning that the other one did not come because the airplane was too small and understanding that I would get it later, tour of Elbasan + finding out my language group + finding out about my host family + SLEEP!!!

Day 4: Intro to training = meeting, coffee, meeting, coffee, meeting, coffee (I hope you get the point) + slightly less awkward conversations with fellow trainees + navigating being a vegetarian + learning a little bit of Albanian, forgetting at least ½ of it, then re-learning it from my roommate + Drinking too much fluid + not much to write home about

I'm still observing too much to really have too many thoughts/emotions (strangely the anxiety level has gone down since getting here). Missing you all, but would rather be here, Libby.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to hear that you arrived safely and are settling in. I miss you, too! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete